Thursday 27 June 2013

Days off, day out.

Days off, day out.




A busy week.  Still working nights, leaving me all day to sit and stare at the telly write or watch youtube videos on home-improvement do some work around the house.  To break the stifling boredom further improve myself, I visited the Royal Academy summer exhibition, the biggest open submission art show in the world.  Was agog at some of the yet-to-be-lauded-appropriately talent on display: sketches, portraits, landscapes, all beautifully crafted.  I went around without a catalogue as I didn't want to be distracted by fantasy shopping, so remain oblivious to the artists in most cases.  But one that stood out for me was a piece where an artist had used a paint chart as a background and had drawn a little vignette on each coloured square.  It was simple, and inspired.

I thought the technique might also be a good aid to writing.  using an old paint chart to throw down ideas, the background colours might inspire a particular emotion or feeling.  I'm going to try it anyway.....

Also, whilst sat in the temporary 'Friends' cafe, which has been moved during a refurb, I was surrounded by walls stripped bare, uncovered back to the original timber cladding, which was peppered with a history of small nail-holes left by the hangings over the last two centuries.  It was like the DNA of the building on display, a time-line etched on the bare limbs of the house. It was as fascinating as any of the art in the other rooms.

S'funny how often visual art inspires me write.

No comments:

Post a Comment